When deciding what roofing material to use for your home, you must understand the pros and cons of each option. Metal and asphalt shingles are both popular material options for roofs. Here’s a guide on the pros and cons of metal vs. asphalt roofs.
Metal roofing is a durable and long-lasting material to choose for your home’s roof. These roofs can protect your home against inclement weather and last around 40 to 70 years. Metal roofs give your home a clean and modern look that’s fresh and aesthetically pleasing. If you live in an area prone to tropical storms, tornadoes, or snow, then you should consider a metal roof for your home.
- Long-lasting material with a lifespan of 40 to 70 years
- Durable material that can withstand strong winds, hail, heavy snow, and rainfall
- Energy-efficient material that can regulate your home’s temperature by reflecting the sun’s rays
- More expensive to install than other roofing materials (but can save you money in the long run)
- More difficult installation and repair process than other roofing materials
- Can be a noisier roofing option (but you can reduce noise with proper insulation)
Asphalt shingle roofs are some of the most popular roofing materials, especially for homes in the United States. There are a few different styles of asphalt shingles to help you achieve the look you desire for your roof. This roofing material can have a lifespan of up to 20 years with the proper maintenance and care. If you like the traditional look of asphalt shingles, then this may be the roofing material for you.
- Affordable installation price
- Easy installation and repair
- Various design options
- Less durable than other roofing materials
- Requires consistent maintenance and repair over time
- More prone to water and weather damage
Choosing the Best Roofing for Your Home
Both of these roofing materials are suitable options for homeowners. Asphalt shingles will be the better option if you’re looking for a more affordable upfront cost. However, if you’re looking for a durable, long-lasting material that can protect your home from storms, then metal roofing will be a better choice for you. The choice really comes down to personal preference and the specific needs you’re looking for in your roofing.
Now that you know the pros and cons of metal roofs and asphalt roofs, you can determine which option is more suitable for your home. American Metal Roofs of Northern Wisconsin offers durable metal roofing materials that are fantastic choices for your home’s roof.